Back in 2015, I wanted my daughter to have a special birthday cake on her birthday, which that year happened to fall on Thanksgiving! I decided I wanted her to have the perfect little smash cake that I could make, so I set out to channel my inner Martha Stewart! You only turn 1 once, right? It turned out to be the perfect little cake and now that leads me to my second baby, our bright eyed, always smiling sweet baby boy! He definitely needed a special cake too, but this time I had a little help from his big sister which made it the perfect little cake!
Making a smash cake is not hard at all, and is actually a lot of fun especially when you have a little helper by your side! Of course, mine is not perfect and my icing decorating skills could probably use some improvement, but I was tickled with the way it turned out and so was our little man! Using a layered cake set that I purchased from Target (many years ago; see picture below), a boxed caked mix (and additional ingredients needed for the cake), icing, sprinkles and food coloring is all that is required in this little birthday project! We used a simple white cake mix from Betty Crocker in order to be able to add the food coloring for each layer.
1. Mix the cake mix and required ingredients.
2. Figure out the colors you want to use for each layer and set aside. We only used blue.
3. Pour into each cake pan (there were 5).
4. Pop in your preheated oven. Don't forget to set your timer!
5. Once cooked (I used the finger press in the middle of the cake to check for doneness, if it springs back up it is ready to take out).
6. Take the cakes out and allow to cool.
7. Shave off the tops of the cakes to get them as level as possible.
8. Place the first layer on a plate and spread your icing over.
9. Next, add the remaining layers, spreading the icing over each layer.
10. Add your sprinkles all over and that was it! So super easy!!
Welcome to our Blog!
Just a girl who grew up wanting to play shop owner and be a school teacher too! I'm retired from teaching now, but I achieved both goals and now as a Stay-At-Home-Mama each day is a blessing to spend with my little family. I'm a born and raised Georgia girl and I adore everything Southern! I hope you enjoy my store blog where I'm happy to share new gift items and ideas, sales, recipes from my kitchen and more!